Best Home Remedies for Dandruff Treatments | DIY at Home
Feeling under-confident due to those tiny white flakes falling on your dress? Well, we can understand your cause of embarrassment. Dandruff (medically known as seborrhoea or cradle cap in babies) not only lowers your confidence level in public but also weakens your hair root, damages the scalp and causes severe dryness. Now, the question is how to prevent dandruff. Answer: “Home remedies for dandruff.”
Yes, you read it right! Sometimes, anti-dandruff shampoos don’t help you, and that is when you need other treatments to control dandruff. Home remedies for dandruff can do well to treat those tiny flakes provided that the condition is not severe. If dandruff is severe, you should seek hair spa treatment and medical help to treat the problem.
Table of Contents
What is dandruff?
Dandruff is a medical problem caused by a fungus called Malassezia, which begins to grow over time and causes itchiness, dryness and those disgusting flakes. This scalp condition has united over half of the world population, irrespective of race, age, and gender.
Some common symptoms of dandruff are:
- White flakes
- Hair fall
Causes of Dandruff:
Here are some of the primary causes of dandruff.
- Irregular or wrong method of brushing.
- Not using the right shampoo as per your hair type.
- Stress and anxiety.
- Some kinds of medical conditions like Parkinson’s disease, eczema etc.
- Improper diet or poor nutrition.
- Pollution, heat and sweat
- Poor scalp hygiene or irregular hair washing.
Now that you know the common causes of dandruff, let us know about some natural home remedies for dandruff to treat the problem.
Click Here: Protein Treatment for Hair
Home Remedies for Dandruff Control
Treating dandruff at home is easy and inexpensive. All you need is some natural ingredients available in your kitchen and the knowledge to use them right. Not sure how to use home remedies for dandruff? No worries! Here is a list of the 10 best DIY home remedies to help you fight the ‘dandruff battle’.
You may like: How to do hair colour highlights at home?
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps treat dry skin and itchy scalp, resulting in killing dandruff-causing bacteria. The acidic properties of vinegar make it a superb home remedy to reduce flakes and itchiness.
How to use apple cider vinegar for dandruff control?
- Take apple cider vinegar and water in equal amounts.
- Mix them well.
- Apply the solution to washed and wet hair.
- Gently massage your hair with the solution.
- Rinse it off after 15 minutes.
Heena (mehndi) is a proven home remedy to promote hair health. It works well to control dandruff and soften manes.
How to use Heena for dandruff control?
- Make a paste of Heena, curd and lemon juice.
- Leave it overnight and apply it to your hair the next morning.
- Let it dry and wash your hair with cold water.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is the best home remedy for skin and hair. It works by improving hydration and reducing dryness. When mixed with some lemon juice, coconut oil forms the best remedy for dandruff and itchiness.
How to use coconut oil for dandruff control?
- Heat coconut oil and mix it with some lemon juice.
- Apply it to your scalp and massage gently.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and shampoo your hair.
Neem plays a vital role in treating various skin and hair conditions. Thanks to its antifungal and antibacterial properties! Since dandruff is commonly caused due to fungal colonization, neem can be your best bet to resolve the issue.
How to use neem for dandruff control?
- Grind some neem leaves into a thick paste.
- Apply this paste (neem hair mask) to your scalp.
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash your hair using mild shampoo.
- Also, you can boil some neem leaves in water and use this water to wash your hair.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Due to its amazing power to fight against bacterial and fungal infections, tea tree oil is one of the most commonly found ingredients in all anti-fungal and anti-acne medications. It helps reduce reduces greasiness, inflammation, and itchiness, thus controlling dandruff.
How to use tea tree oil for dandruff control?
- Add 1-2 drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo.
- Wash your hair normally and notice the result after a few washes.
6. Fenugreek Seeds
Enriched with the goodness of protein, fenugreek seeds prevent dryness and dandruff. It also helps strengthen hair roots, moisturize the scalp and control hair fall. In short, fenugreek seeds are one of the best home remedies for long, thick and beautiful hair.
How to use Fenugreek seeds for dandruff control?
- Soak some fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Next morning, mash the seeds to form a paste-like consistency.
- Add some lemon juice to it and mix it well.
- Apply it to your scalp and leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair normally with your regular shampoo.
7. Egg Yolk
Egg yolk is one of the most popular natural remedies for dandruff. Egg yolk contains biotin, which is the main element to cure dandruff. It also helps improve your scalp and hair health, resulting in beautiful hair.
How to use Egg Yolk for dandruff control?
- Remove the white layer (albumen) that surrounds the egg yolk.
- Apply the yolk to clean and dry scalp.
- Now, cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Leave it for 1 hour and wash it off using mild shampoo.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has amazing anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, which help treat the irritated scalp, reduce inflammation and control dandruff.
How to use Aloe vera for dandruff control?
- Scoop out some fresh aloe vera gel from the plant.
- Apply it to your scalp and leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
Aspirin contains Salicylic acid (a key ingredient found in anti-dandruff shampoos), which makes it an excellent remedy to treat dandruff.
How to use Aspirin for dandruff control?
- Crush two Aspirin tablets into a fine powder.
- Add this to your regular shampoo and shake well.
- Wash your hair normally using this shampoo.
10. Baking Soda
The anti-fungal properties of baking soda work as a great exfoliator and effective remedy to treat Dandruff. It is a quick, easy and inexpensive way to get rid of flakiness and itchiness.
How to use Baking soda for dandruff control?
- Sprinkle a handful of baking soda to wet hair.
- Massage your scalp gently and leave for 1-2 minutes.
- Go for a quick rinse.
- Initially, you will feel dry hair but eventually, your hair will look softer, free from dry flakes.
While home remedies for dandruff are your best rescue to resolve the problem, you can’t ignore the importance of regular hair spas to improve hair health.
How does a Hair spa for dandruff help treat the problem?
Those tiny white flakes on your clothes can be embarrassing and you would give anything to get rid of them. Right? Then why not try a hair spa at home from Yes Madam? We understand how much you love dandruff-free hair! Therefore, we bring you a hair spa treatment, which helps remove pollution, eliminate toxins, and control oil production in the scalp, which helps control dandruff.
Furthermore, a hair spa makes hair look softer, smoother, shinier and healthier. In short, a hair spa treatment offers everything you want your hair to be. Therefore, it is wise to make a hair spa a must-have part of your regular hair care routine.
Now, no more cancelling of salon sessions as those disgusting flakes on your dress and shoulders prevent you to step out. Book Yes Madam’s hair spa at home and flaunt your beautiful hair.
Yes Madam Hair Spa Price
|Below Shoulder||40 mins||₹599/-|
|Up to Shoulder||30 mins||₹539/-|
|Up to Waist||45 mins||₹988/-|
|Below Waist||60 mins||₹1437/-|
|Anti-Dandruff Hair Spa – Below Shoulder||40 mins||₹699/-|
How to Do DIY Hair Spa for Dandruff at home?
1. Give your hair a hot oil massage
A well-performed oil massage stimulates blood flow and promotes hair health. You can choose any carrier oil like olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil etc. and dilute a few drops of essential oil to it for the best result.
2. It’s time to steam the scalp
Steaming let the nutrients penetrate into the hair cuticles. For steaming, you can use a market-bought steamer or simply damp a towel in hot water and wrap it around your head.
3. Wash your hair with lukewarm water
Cleanse your hair using a gentle and sulphate-free shampoo. Hot water can damage your hair, hence, prefer using lukewarm water for the hair wash. The primary purpose of shampooing your hair is to remove dead skin cells from your scalp and make your hair ready for further hair spa steps.
4. Apply a homemade hair mask
You can make a homemade face mask for dandruff and apply it to your hair. Leave it for 20-30 minutes and wash it off with your regular shampoo.
Related Article: Hair Spa Procedure, Types, Benefits & A Lot More
When to see a doctor for Dandruff Treatment?
If hair spa and home remedies, both fail to work for you and you are still looking for the best treatment for dandruff, it is time to consult a doctor. For those stubborn tiny flakes, you might need some topical medications and prescription shampoo.
Book Yes Madam at home for all your hair care, hair spa and hair styling needs.
FAQs on Home Remedies for Dandruff
Is dandruff cause of hair fall in reality?
Dandruff weakens your hair root and scalp health, resulting in hair fall and thinning.
How can we avoid dandruff?
Say no to junk foods.
Take healthy diets.
Maintain proper hair hygiene.
Follow the right way of brushing.
What are the causes of dandruff?
Poor scalp hygiene, improper diet, lack of sleep, stress, pollution, genetics and some medical conditions are a few of the most common causes of dandruff.
What are some good home remedies to cure dandruff easily?
Aloe vera, neem, curd, basil leaves, lemon, coconut oil, heena, egg yolk and baking soda are some of the most popular home remedies for dandruff and hair fall.