How To Do Waxing At Home – A Detailed Guide
How to do waxing at home? The most searched query every month. The reason is doing waxing at home can be risky if not done correctly. To avoid ingrown hairs, burns, and possible bruising, it’s important to know your DIY waxing basics.
So before you start doing waxing at home, read these essential waxing at home tips. By just following the right procedure, you will get smooth, hair-free skin — not ingrown hairs and frustration from a botched leg waxing or bikini wax at home treatment.
Remember, when planning to do waxing at home, small things really go a long way. So, without further delay, let’s know what are the waxing at home tips and how to do waxing at home.
When to do waxing?
- Ideally, the best time to do waxing at home is after you have let the hair grow out for 1 to 2 months. According to many waxing professionals, one home waxing tip that they always share is to let your hair grow completely before calling a professional for a waxing session. Waxing done on full-grown hair is easier to pull out completely and the hair comes after a longer duration.
- Avoid shaving in-between waxes as it can increase in-grown hair making your skin itchy and irritated. Using a razor to shave in-between waxing also hinders the waxing process.
Dos & Don’t of Waxing at Home
|Exfoliate gently before waxing at home
|Don’t wax hair too short or too long hair
|Use baby powder pre-wax
|Avoid waxing the same area more than twice
|Test the temperature of the wax
|Never pick at ingrown hairs
|Apply and pull wax in the right direction
|Don’t shave for three weeks before you wax
|Use baby oil post-wax
|Avoid waxing under specific conditions
Waxing at Home Dos:
- Exfoliate Gently– Before and after waxing at home, regularly and gently exfoliate the skin with either a body scrub or a washcloth. Be sure to moisturize skin with a light lotion to hydrate the skin and leave you extra smooth.
- Use Baby Powder– For hairless (and baby-smooth) skin, you’ll want this waxing at home insurance policy. After cleansing your skin, sprinkle a bit of baby powder to the area about to be waxed. It’ll absorb any excess moisture so the wax and cloth strip can adhere properly.
- Test the Temperature of Your Wax– To avoid a hot mess (literally), always test your wax by applying a bit to the inside of your wrist to make sure it’s at a comfortable spreading temperature. Too cold and it won’t spread, too hot and you’ll burn yourself. You especially want to test the wax if you are waxing anywhere near your lady parts — à la bikini waxing at home, and particularly a DIY Brazilian wax.
- Apply and Pull in the Right Direction– If you’re an waxing at home newbie, then this next tip is especially important in waxing anything at home, whether it’s using a leg and eyebrow waxing kit or attempting your first Brazilian wax at home. Always apply wax in the direction of hair growth, as it allows the wax to adhere more completely. After spreading on the wax, place the cloth strip over the wax and press it down firmly using strokes in the same direction as hair growth. Leave the strip on for a few seconds to set.
When removing the cloth strip, hold your skin taut and quickly pull it off in the opposite direction of hair growth. Stay close and parallel to the skin, like turning a page in a book, don’t lift the strip up in the air.
- Apply Pressure Post Wax– Beauty is pain, but waxing at home — even a DIY bikini wax — doesn’t have to be unbearable. Immediately after removing the cloth strip, apply pressure to the waxed area to help relieve the sting, prevent bruising and make the skin less sensitive.
- Use Baby Oil Post-Wax– After leg waxing, eyebrow waxing, or bikini waxing, you want to make sure you give your skin a little love. A hydrating product, like baby oil, can help clean up any residual wax on your skin and also moisturize the skin. So how’s that for killing two birds with one stone?
Also read: Do’s & don’ts after body waxing
Waxing at Home Don’ts:
- Wax Hair That’s Too Short or Too Long– For ideal bikini or leg waxing conditions, hair should be between 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch long. Any shorter, and the wax won’t be able to adhere well enough — which will be especially painful if you’re attempting a tricky Brazilian wax at home (more on those later). If your hair is long, try trimming it with safety scissors beforehand to make the waxing much less painful and efficient.
- Wax the Same Area More Than Twice– Going over the same area more than twice can damage the skin — and be quite painful. If you still have a few stray hairs after applying the wax twice, use tweezers to remove them.
- Pick at Ingrown Hairs– Although it’s tempting, picking at ingrown hairs won’t help, and it may lead to an infection. If you have stubborn ingrown hairs after waxing (especially common after a bikini wax at home), soak in warm water to soften the skin, gently exfoliate the area and apply a salicylic acid treatment to help further exfoliate the area.
If you really must pick after attempting a Brazilian wax at home (though we repeat, don’t), only use sterilized tweezers and only target ingrown hairs that are right at the surface of the skin.
- Try a Brazilian wax at home – Waxing your bikini area is a big challenge to do yourself. There are chances you could hurt yourself. Worry not! We have got it prepared. Read out our steps below to know how you can do Brazilian waxing at home without hurting yourself.
- Try Waxing Under These Conditions– If you’re taking strong acne medications (which can make skin extra-sensitive), have a sunburn, or have any sort of circulation or immune system issues, avoid waxing at home or even by professionals.
Also, DIY waxing your bikini area two days before or after your period can be more painful than other times because your skin is more sensitive due to your hormones (thanks, Mother Nature).
Brazilian Wax at Home – Easy Tips to Do Brazilian or Bikini Wax at Home
Brazilian waxing will help you get rid of unwanted hair from your intimate body parts. Those areas are sensitive to wax. So, you must know all the necessary steps to do it with caution and care.
Any mistake could lead to a burn or any problem. Brazilian wax at home is not easy, but now it will be much more convenient and smoother. Let us begin.
Things you need for Bikini waxing at home
- Pre-wax cleanser
- Pre-wax oil
- Post wax oil
- Bikini wax
- Cooled aloe vera gel
- Maybe a cortisone cream
Make sure your hair is fully grown before commencing the waxing session. The hairs must be a quarter inch long so the wax can strip them off perfectly.
Steps to do bikini waxing at home
- Make sure the hair length is more than a quarter inch
- Now take a dose of ibuprofen 45 minutes before the Brazilian waxing
- It’s time to take a shower to cleanse and exfoliate the bikini area, it will help in barricading infection
- Get comfortable wear as they will be a perfect fit where to guide you regarding where to put the waxing
- Now heat the hard wax or bikini wax
- To test the temperature of the hard wax, put it on your forearm it should feel comfortable
- Get into your private space where you are comfortable to take off the intimate wear and put on the wax, but keep a mirror in front of you
- Get the spatula to apply the wax, but keep the sections small and apply it in the direction of hair growth
- Let the wax cool on that area for more than 30 seconds
- Now it’s time for the real adventure, pull out the wax gel in the opposite direction of hair growth
- It could pain a little, so do it gently
- After bikini waxing, get the post-wax oil to clean any residue of wax
- Now put the refrigerated aloe vera gel on that section as it will help in soothing irritation or inflamed skin
- If there is redness or swelling, must use a cortisone cream
- Do not let the area come into direct sunlight for more than 24 hours
- Exfoliate the area after a week of waxing because it will help in keeping ingrown hairs at bay
You can also call a professional to your home for a better and more pleasant experience in Brazilian waxing at home. Visit the Yes Madam’s website/app, pick your slot, and book the service. Enjoy top-class service with top-notch professionals.
Waxing at Home Tips by a Professional
Now that you have read what things should be followed before you do waxing at home, here are some after-care things that should be followed once you are done with waxing at home.
- If you have got a bikini or Brazilian wax, 24 hours after the waxing session is crucial, keep the area clean and moisturised. You can apply aloe vera gel to the area to minimise ingrowth and soothe the skin in case you feel irritation or redness and bumps on the skin.
- Here’s a pro aftercare waxing tip- wear cotton panties to reduce irritation around the bikini area.
- A gentle oil massage after waxing at home helps calm the skin down and keep irritation at bay.
- Avoid using strongly fragranced products on your skin after waxing as they may irritate the skin further.
Waxing by a Professional
We have left no space for any query regarding how to do waxing at home. Here is everything that you should know before proceeding to wax at home. Read these steps and begin. Also, read all the dos and don’ts of waxing.
Here are all the instructions that will guide you thoroughly to do Bikini waxing at home, too. Because waxing is a technical process; if you do not know how to wax at home, you might cause some severe problems for your skin. Improper waxing can lead to heat burns, skin peeling, rashes, and improper hair growth. To avoid all this, waxing should be done by professionals who have the proper knowledge and experience to carry out the service. At Yes Madam, all the experts are given proper training before they begin providing services to the clients to maintain the service’s quality standards and provide our clients with the best possible experience.
The experts of Yes Madam know everything about the waxing procedure and carry it out with utmost care and caution. From pre-waxing preparations to post-waxing care, our experts take care of everything! Not just that, the hair removal technique practised by them is such that it’s less painful, especially in the case of RICA waxing, which is why we call it low-pain waxing.
Why go through all the trouble of waxing at home when you can get an expert to do it for you at your home and at an affordable price? Book a waxing service at home with Yes Madam, and you wouldn’t have to worry about a thing; the whole hair removal process would be carried out with all hygiene and precautions, and in the end, you’ll be left with smooth and hair-free skin.
Is wax powder safe?
What are the side effects of wax powder?
How to do painless waxing at home?