Holi 2022: Effective Hair Care Routine To Prevent Damage
It’s that time of year again: Holi, also known as the Festival of Colors, is a spring festival celebrated primarily in India, but also in other countries across the globe. It is a vibrant, festive occasion that is celebrated with great merriment and exuberance. Every year, people gather together to play and have fun, while being covered with different colors of paint and powder, which are used to decorate the festival. The colors and celebrations of Holi are so bright and happy that they are hard to miss, making it one of the most popular festivals in the world. The concept of Holi is based on the Hindu mythological story of King Hiranyakasipu and his son Prahlad, who both get blessed with their respective father’s strength and beauty on the day of Holi. Today, the day is more about getting together with friends, family, and co-workers to have fun and enjoy the festive spirit.
However, it is very important for an individual to take care of themselves, especially their skin and hair from toxic colors. We are so busy indulging ourselves in the whole fun that we often forget to follow a hair care routine to prevent damage to our hair from the toxic colors. But you don’t need to worry as Yes Madam presents to you the best Hair care tips for you this Holi that will make sure that your hair is safe from any damage. You must follow these tips to keep your hair away from harmful colors, and therefore maintain the beautiful condition of your hair.
Pre Holi hair care tips
Prevention is better than cure! Follow these pre-Holi hair care tips so that you can minimize the damage to your hair:
- Remove your split ends: Before you prepare your hair to handle Holi’s colors, trim away the split ends. You may get split ends from artificial colors, resulting in drier hair that will hinder your hair’s growth. Hence, if you’re going to celebrate, you should fix those split ends before indulging yourself in the joyous occasion.
- Wash your hair: A night prior to the Holi celebration, you should wash and condition your hair. You can apply a leave-in conditioner to your hair before going out to play.
- Deep massage with oil: We should oil our hair before playing Holi to prevent the colors from causing too much damage to our hair. You can mitigate the impact of color additives on your hair by coating it with oil, whether it is coconut oil, olive oil, or any other oil you usually use, it will minimize the damage. The oil you apply to your hair not only functions as a protective shield but will also make it easier to wash it and remove all the colors. You should also oil your hair to prevent stains from getting into your hair shaft when you wash them off. Apply coconut oil or olive oil to your scalp thoroughly to create a protective layer.
- Dont leave your hair open: To prevent maximum damage, tie your hair up in a bun or braid instead of leaving it open. You should never let your hair remain damaged and dry, and the remedies described above are the best tips to care for your locks before Holi.
- Use a hair cover: After you have finished oiling your hair, you must cover it. You can protect your head with a hat, scarf, or bandana. Besides covering your scalp, it also doesn’t readily absorb color, so it provides an extra layer of protection for oiled hair.
Post Holi hair care tips
It is not only necessary to invest in pre-Holi care tips but post-Holi measures also to prevent your hair from getting damaged this Holi:
- Comb your hair: Once you finish experiencing the fun of playing Holi, it is necessary that you comb your hair before you wash them. Brushing allows you to remove dried color that has become stuck as flakes to the shaft or scalp.
- A deep hair washes: Make sure most of the color has been washed out of your hair by rinsing it thoroughly with cold water. Then, using your fingers, apply a gentle herbal shampoo. Use a deep conditioner and scrub properly. If you like, you may add a serum at the end of the process.
- Apply a hair mask: After Holi, your hair requires extra nutrients. Apply a hair mask after 2 to 3 days to prevent color loss. You can use ingredients such as lemon, eggs, yogurt, and amla to make a good hair mask. You can also decide to go through a peaceful experience of head massage at home or other hair care services through Yesmadam.
- Get a haircut: There is a possibility that colors damage your hair’s growth. You may choose to trim the ends and let the hair grow naturally, or you may decide to get a haircut altogether. This depends on your hairstyle. It makes no sense to trim your hair too short if it is already short.
- Use homemade remedies: Hair care after Holi involves the use of natural home remedies. It includes oiling your hair before a shower, preventing unnecessary hair styling, using homemade masks, and much more. An egg, honey, yoghurt mask is a great hair mask for curing dry hair after Holi. Use natural homemade massages to help your hair get back to normal after Holi. One egg beat with 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of yoghurt is all that is needed to achieve a rich, creamy consistency. Apply the mixture well to your scalp and hair, leave on for nearly 30 minutes, and then rinse.
Holi’s colors can cause your hair to lose its natural oils, making it frizzier and taking longer to restore its former luster and shape. If you do not take the necessary precautions, it may make your hair a considerable amount of time to recover. Simply follow the above-mentioned tips and you can have a safe and worry-free Holi experience this year!