Introducing Shirodhara Ayurvedic Treatment
In the busy lives of the 21st century, we hardly get any time to relax. But when we get the time, we must reconnect with ourselves and the best way to do so is by getting a Patanjali treatment. We know there is a wide range of Patanjali treatments to choose from
Shirodhara is made from the conjugation of two Sanskrit words – ‘Shiro’ which means head and ‘Dhara’ which means flow. It is a technique included in the age-old science of Ayurveda and it involves someone pouring a liquid- generally oil, water, milk, or buttermilk onto your scalp. Ayurveda is the ancient holistic science for longevity and well-being and has been practiced in India for centuries. Shirodhara is a traditional Ayurvedic method of healing. It has been used for thousands of years to bring the body, mind, and soul into harmony.
It is deemed as one of the most rejuvenating and purifying treatments which are designed in a way that not only removes stress but also removes the harmful AMA toxins from the body. Shirodhara is often followed by a full body massage or a scalp or head massage. The oil that is used in the practice of Shirodhara is generally medicated and steadily dripped onto the forehead, especially between your eyebrows. The procedure of Shirodhara induces a relaxed state of mind which relaxes your state of awareness too, which results in a dynamic psycho-somatic balance. You will be mentally feel refreshed after a Shirodhara treatment which also helps in treating many ailments and diseases.
Table of Contents
The first and foremost step before you take the Shirodhara Ayurvedic treatment would be to consult an Expert from the Ayurvedic Field. To make it much easier and more convenient for you we have brought the consultancy straight to your homes, on your phone/computer screens. You can book a consultancy session with our Patanjali-certified Naturopathy and Ayurvedic Experts and clear all your queries from them without even visiting them, right through your phone screens.
What is the procedure of the Shirodhara treatment?
Here are some more details and information about the Shirodhara treatment.
- This treatment is usually done in the morning or evening so that you get the best results.
- In case you have certain specific ailments or disorders, you would also be given a full-body massage called the ‘Abhyanga’ beside the head and scalp massage. The full-body massage is given using medicated or herb-infused oils.
- You will be advised to take a bath using medicated warm water after half an hour of the completion of the Shirodhara treatment. You should also use medicated shampoo to remove the oil from your hair.
- To get the most out of your treatment, you should avoid consuming coffee or any caffeinated products. Caffeine is believed to negate the effects of this treatment. Besides that, you should try to follow a Vata pacifying diet.
How does the Shirodhara treatment work and what are its benefits?
When herbal oils or medicated liquids are poured onto the head and scalp, it gives a very therapeutic effect and a calming sensation in the muscles of the head. Consequently, the soothing effect also passes through the superficial peripheral nerves present inside the forehead into the brain. When your hypothalamus is soothed, the actions of the pituitary gland get regulated. This in turn leads to the betterment of issues like insomnia. This massage thus helps you in getting proper sleep. The Shirodhara treatment benefits also stimulate the different vital points all around your head and also help improve the circulation of blood and oxygen around the head and body. The warm medicated or herbal oils that are used for this treatment help vasodilate the blood vessels, hence improving blood circulation in the brain as well.
The massage that you receive during the Shirodhara treatment brings down excessive levels of serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is mainly responsible for our happiness, feelings of well-being and when its levels are optimal, we will feel more relaxed and calmer. As mentioned earlier, Shirodhara treatment benefits in Ayurveda greatly help in reducing stress and tensions. It also helps a lot in alleviating psychosomatic ailments like anxiety, depression, tension, and stress. Some of the other benefits of the Shirodhara treatment are given as follows.
1.This Ayurvedic procedure helps greatly in case you have vision problems. Although no medicated oils or liquids are directly applied to the eyes, the Shirodhara massage benefits in a way that you get during this treatment improves the eye muscles, boosts clarity in vision, and also can help a person see better without glasses. You will see effective results after being prescribed Shirodhara therapy for a fortnight.
2. The oils used in this treatment have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties which help in relaxing any throbbing blood vessels in the head. This treatment can provide immense relief from chronic migraines and headaches.
3. Yet another benefit that comes from the herbal oils used in this treatment is that they have potent brain-boosting properties, that is, they effectively help in improving memory capacity, focus, concentration, and vigilance of an individual.
4. Stress causes many problems including insomnia. This treatment helps in calming the mind and thus helps you sleep better.
Ayurvedic treatments have a long history of improving physical and mental health, emotional being, and connection of the soul. Ayurvedic practices make use of all-natural substances like herbs, oils, spices, and other components that can be directly sourced from nature. All of these practices and formulations ultimately help in treating many ailments and diseases, one of those treatments being Shirodhara.
Patanjali has been known for many years as an Indian Ayurvedic brand that sources all of its raw materials from nature and manufactures all-natural products. At Yes Madam we are coming together with Patanjali, and bringing their Shirodhara treatment to your home. Our experienced professionals have received direct training from experts at Patanjali on the Shirodhara treatment so that we can bring you the immense benefits of it right in the comforts of your home. SO, book your appointment for this Ayurvedic Treatment at home now and let go of all your stress!
Also read about Kati Basti, the knee cap therapy by Ayurveda.