How to blow dry hair at home – A complete guide!
Who doesn’t like bouncy blowouts and soft curls done at a salon? You feel more confident and ready to take over the world. But do you know how to blow dry hair at home to achieve those perfect bouncy locks, natural waves, soft curls or silky straight strands? Worry not! We have got you covered. Whether your hair is curly and prone to frizz, straight and needs some volume, or just too long to blow dry at home, here you will find the insider hair hacks that will help you blow-dry hair at home like a professional hair stylist.
Tools you need to blow dry your hair at home:
- Hair dryer: Pick one with 1,800-watt and with multiple heat settings.
- Hairbrush: Medium to large round brush.
- Hair styling products: hair spray or smoothening cream.
- Finishing products: Hair serum, cream or spray.
Now that you have got the needed tools, it’s time to know the step-by-step process of blow drying.
How to blow dry your hair at home – step-by-step procedure:
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo. We recommend you use a natural and nourishing shampoo. Follow the process by using a conditioner to lock in the moisture.
- Wet hair is more prone to damage. Thus, let it dry naturally to a minimum of 70% dry before you use a hair dryer.
- Divide hair into small sections and use one section at a time for blow-drying.
- Keep your hair dryer at least 15 cm away from your hair and move it constantly back and forth until the section is completely dry.
- Make sure to dry each section completely before you move on to the other section.
- Once your hair is thoroughly dry and you have got your bouncy blowout, apply a finishing product like gloss, cream, serum or spray to your hair. Don’t overdo it else it will ruin your effort.
How to blow dry different types of hair?
Blow dry hacks for straight hair:
- To protect your tresses from heat damage, firstly apply a heat protectant to your hair. Let the hair dry to 70 to 80%.
- Divide your hair into small sections.
- Now take a round hairbrush and roll your hair, starting from tip to root.
- Use a hair dryer with a 1,800-watt motor and with multiple heat settings to blow dry your straight hair.
- Repeat the process to dry every section and run your fingers along the tresses to blend the sections.
- Finish the process by sprinkling a hair spray or hair serum.
Blow dry hacks for curly hair:
- Prep your curly locks by nourishing them with natural hair care products like shampoo and a leave-in conditioner.
- Towel dry your hair to absorb excess water.
- Make your locks soft and shiny by applying hair serum.
- Take a few sections of your locks and start blow drying them using a diffuser. Use a diffuser with 1200 watt to define your curls and do it for 10-15 seconds.
- Repeat the process until your locks dry completely.
- Once your hair is 90% dry, switch from the diffuser to a regular blow dryer to dry the roots.
- Finish the process by using a hair serum. Apply it gently so that it does not damage your soft curls.
Blow dry hacks for short hair:
- Prep your hair by using hair products like shampoo, conditioner and serum. We recommend you use a heat protectant spray to save your hair against heat damage.
- Comb your hair to distribute the heat protectant throughout the hair.
- Set your hair dryer to low or medium and keep it a minimum of 15 cm away from hair to prevent scalp inflammation and hair damage.
- Now, blow dry a small section of your hair and repeat the process for each section.
- Finish the process by applying a natural hairspray or hair serum.
Do’s & Don’ts for blow drying:
We often make some common mistakes while blow drying our hair. Here’s what to do and what to avoid when you blow-dry your hair at home.
|Blow dry hair when it is at least 70% dry.||Don’t heat style your wet hair as wet hair is more prone to breakage.|
|Divide your hair into sections for a perfect bouncy blow-dry.||Don’t style detangled and knotted hair.|
|Hold your hair dry horizontally and hairbrush vertically.||Don’t hold your hair dryer flat as it may not give you the desired bounce and natural waves.|
|Take a wide-toothed wooden hairbrush to remove detangles.||Say ‘No’ to metal brushes as they are prone to heat up and burn your hair.|
|Keep moving your blow dryer constantly while styling.||Do not keep your hair dryer at a place for longer to prevent burning your hair.|
|Always finish off the look with hair care products like hair serum or hair spray and cold air dry.||Use a heat protectant before using your blow dryer.|
|Start from a low heat setting from the roots and gradually increase the temperature as you reach the tips.||Avoid styling your hair at high temperatures as it may dehydrate and steal hair moisture.|
Pre blow dry hair tips:
- To get the soft curls, roll your hair with a round brush before using your blow dryer.
- To keep your hair straight, take a round brush and pull the hair from root to tip while blow-drying.
- Angle down your dryer while using it as it will make the hair cuticle soft and shiny.
- For salon-like hair at home, move your blow dryer throughout the hair’s length along with a hairbrush.
Post blow dry hair tips:
- Give a cold air dry to your hair to lock in the shine.
- Run your fingers through the hair to blend the sections.
- To make your tresses smoother and shinier, finish the process by applying a hair spray or serum. It will also help lock in the hairstyle.
- Know your hair type before you blow dry hairstyles.
- Rough dry your hair to 70-80% before you use a blow dryer.
- Make sure to use a heat protectant spray to prevent getting any heat-induced damage.
- Finishing off with a hair spray and cold air as it helps lock in the style for longer.
Drying hair seems an easy task but if you don’t do it right, it can cause permanent damage to your natural tresses. Moreover, following the same procedure for different hair types will not give you a salon-like bouncy blowout. So, follow the tips and techniques mentioned in this blog to blow dry your lustrous locks.
How long does it take to blow dry hair?
It depends on the hair length and volume. As a general rule, an at-home blowout takes around 15-30 minutes for long or curly hair and 5-10 minutes for short hair.
What to put in hair before blow-drying?
Use a hair protecting lotion, hair serum or heat protectant before blow drying your hair.
Can I blow dry dry hair?
Blow drying too dry or too wet hair can cause burns, breakage and heat damage. To avoid facing such concerns, it is best to blow dry damp hair, neither bone-dry nor dripping-wet hair.
How do you blow dry your hair like a professional?
Follow the steps mentioned in this guide to dry your hair like a professional hair expert.
Use these tips to get the perfect bouncy blowout at home! Still unsure how to blow dry your hair at home or how to achieve those natural curls without visiting a salon? No worries! Connect with Yes Madam to get any hair styling and beauty service at home.